Monday, 7 November 2016

My First Blog - Animal Welfare

Hello, and thank you for reading my first blog post!

I am not a journalist, business owner or have any qualifications in English Language (apart from my B GCSE - which was 8 years ago), so please bare with me on any errors I make! I am here today as I have a huge passion for animal welfare, have recently become vegan after being vegetarian for 12 years, and have also realised some of the impacts of animal agriculture on global warming thus sparking my interest in this too. Unfortunately a love for animals comes with a price, learning that you cannot save them all as many people are unwilling to change - despite how close we are to destroying the Earth and wiping out species after species - is hard. People are ignorant. This is why I decided to create a blog, both to spread awareness and also a place for me to let out how I feel to prevent making myself ill from keeping in my emotions after all the horrible things I see which are happening everyday. These things cannot be ignored, the first step to change is to be AWARE, only then can action be taken. I would also like to include great animal success stories in my blog to show what can be done when people act, as I do not want anyone to feel as I did yesterday and it is important to show how big of a difference can be made! Awareness - Action - Success.

From doing an online animal course and finding out how we actually get milk, I cut milk out from my diet. I was horrified, and will post a blog around this as I believe most people are not aware of the process. Then from watching documentaries and doing research on global warming I saw how animal agriculture affects this, it actually causes over half of the impacts leading to global warming - if you are interested in this fact head to Netflix and watch COWSPIRACY, it really is an eye opener! Thus I became vegan.

Yesterday I saw a video which really affected me, I had a breakdown as I just felt hopeless because I just want to help the animals but cannot help them all. Awareness is unfortunately the first step however from me seeing this it lead to me creating this blog - spreading awareness and keeping my sanity - and one person saw my shared post of the video and decided on the spot to cut out milk. I was more than happy to help and give advice on how to do this, it is so easy these days with all supermarkets stocking soy alternatives for milk, cheese and butter, aswell as delicious vegan treats! The video was extremely disturbing, it was from a hidden camera planted by an activist and showed a dairy cow mother hung by a hip clamp on a tractor only metres away from her dead baby. The mother cow being full of milk and distressed struggled to stand due to the hip clamp and her wanting of caring for her baby, with her front legs eventually giving way. The farmer returned 30 minutes later only to get in the tractor and drag the mother cow away by the hip clamp, still on her knees. The cruelty seen is horrendous and is happening, however from this activist stepping up to capture this and then pass this on the farmer will be prosecuted and less dairy cows will be subject to this cruelty. Awareness - Action - Success.

Just before I go, I also saw a statistic posted by Animal Matters today stating that approximately 6,000 tigers are kept as pets in the USA, which is greater than the number of tigers in the wild throughout the whole world! Just astonishing. Hopefully petitions will be started soon now the figure is out, and this can be looked into. Tigers kept as pets are most likely to me tame now therefore may not be able to be reintroduced to the wild, however future purchases of tigers for pets could be haltered. Petitions are powerful, please take the time to sign them when you see cruelty - awareness and action!

Thank you for reading my post, being the first one it is long but I appreciate you allowing me to let out how I feel about such issues and hope you learnt something new today which you can take forward. Have a lovely day!

Jess xx

P.S there is only on day left to watch Before The Flood for free - if you are interested in global warming this is a documentary you should watch and is available on YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment